Monday, August 9, 2010

Almost eaten by a bear







Today (Sunday) we woke up of the birds singing outside the tent and the sun breaking through the canvas...really cozy ;)
We had a nice breakfast with the leftovers form our dinner yesterday ;) It was jummy with a cold hot dogs, some grapes and juice.
The guy in the other tent had told us about a great hike that they made yesterday and he also showed us on the map where to go so we packed up and went on the road again, further in to the woods. We were going to a place called Phelps Creek and the way there was really bad with a lot of sharp rocks so we were afraid that we also would get a flat tire so I drove as slowly as I could and tried to go slalom between the holes. When we got there, my legs were hurting cause I had been tense all the way, on the edge ;)
We parked the car and got our backpacks and started our long walk in to the woods. It was really beautiful with the mountains behind the trees and the river floating by beneath, so peaceful.
After some walking, we heard sth in the woods next to us. Some growling!!! Anna thought that was me but it wasn't. We are pretty sure it was a bear but we didn't want to stay to check so we continued calm and not panicked ;)....just totally afraid!!! Our hearts were beating so loud and we were checking the surroundings all the time. We thought of going back but we didn't want to meet the bear. When we met more people on the trail we calmed down cause then we thought the bear would eat them so he would be full if he saw us again ;)
The trail was easy with a wide path and not so steep. Sometimes we had to walk on rocks and cross the river so it was a real hike. We like it!
After maybe 2 hours of walking we reached the Spider meadows and it was just stunning. There were mountains all around and the river was floating right through the pass with huge green fields covered by flowers around it. Like a picture from the movie Sound of Music!
We found a spot next to the river where we sat down and had our lunch and just enjoyed the nature. This is definitely one of my top hikes ever!!
There were still snow on the tops and we had heard about some snow fields U could walk to so we started to go there but when we got closer we realized it was really steep and that it would take too long time. Anna was just wearing flip flops also (crazy) so we turned back to the car instead. In the valley, U could find tents wherever and it looked really cool just camping in the wild but they seemed to be a bit more serious hikers than we ;) With all the right equipment and definitely not flip flops ;)
It was a long walk back and since we didn't go hiking in a while, and we are not really working out so much now, my legs were hurting. My knees where screaming cause I pushed them too hard so it was nice when we saw the car. Sadly we had got a parking ticket cause U have to pay when U are in a National Park and we hadn't really understand the instructions so we just skipped that. We thought no one would drive out in the middle of nowhere on a Sunday, but we were wrong ;) Now we need to pay $75 instead which kind of sucks but we were positive and said that that was a pretty good price to pay cause we didn't got eaten by a bear, we didn't pay the campground and we were together and had a great weather. We also has a story to tell now ;)
There were not much traffic on the way home so it went fine. We were both just so tired and not fresh so it was nice to come home and take a shower. I had to hang up the tent cause it was a bit wet.
The family wasn't home so I had the house for myself in the evening which was nice cause then I could walk around in my pyjamas and just relax.
I had a great weekend with my very best Anna Gabriel and I think it was good for me to get out in the nature, maybe I'll not be so tired this week.
I'm glad we did it together since it's not long before we leave this relationship :(

Miss U all!
Love Sandra

No comments:

Post a Comment