Sunday, August 8, 2010

Hiking with my Anna!!


Today (Saturday) I thought I could wake up on my own, that no one would wake me up, but no! Anna texted me at 10 cause she thought that I had to be awake at that time. On a Saturday when I don't have to work or have anything planned in the morning? Is she crazy? I also had a nice dream that she woke me from so thank U!!
The morning was really nice cause I was alone at home and I could update my blog and work on other stuff that needed to be done. I also called back home, the second time this week! I think I miss them ;)
At 3:30 I went to Anna's place with the car full of hiking and camping equipment, we were going out in the woods! Anna wanted to do that this weekend cause she hasn't really been out as much as I have, like with the family, and there is not so many weekends left. And since she's my other half and I don't think anything is fun without her, I came ;)
From the beginning we had planned to go to the Olympic mountains, where Forks is, but the weather was not supposed to be good there so we headed east instead, towards Leavenworth. It took about two hours to get there and the gas was down on red so we were glad when we saw a Shell station ;)
We had called and talked with a lot of campgrounds but most of them were full but one gave us a good tip and also a great map where we could find several once so after driving on a non pavement road for about 30 minutes, we found one that was good for us. It was the first time I've driven on a non pavement road since I got here and it so reminded me on the way down to my grandma!
The campground was really in the middle of nowhere and we were in a National Forest so it was all very calm and quite. The area is called Wenatchee National Forest and it's a bit north of Leavenworth. We camped right next to a river called Chiwawa River and it was surrounded by mountains so it was beautiful!
We started with putting up the tent, which was big but not very complicated. It was just the top that we didn't really got right but we made it how we thought it would be and I think it's better that the original ;)
There were so many mosquitoes and other biting bugs that I was almost panicking!! I made a bandanna out of a shirt so that I could cover my ears under my cap. This made me look like my brother Robin so that was what Anna called me all night ;)
So we quickly made a fire to get rid of all the bugs. We had to collect some branches, cause we didn't bring any wood, and it was kind of hard starting a fire cause they were all wet. But after a while, Anna got it going and we kept it alive the whole evening. I'm really proud of us how we can survive in the wild. We know how to put up a tent, how to start a fire and Anna could open a bottle of beer with a stick ;)
There were one more tent at the campground and it was a couple from Spokane who lived there. When we came, it was just the man cause his wife were driving some people in to the city cause they had got a flat tire and didn't have a extra. Bummer! He was nice and when the wife came back, the others were with her and they had to put up their tent also to spend the night.
Me and Anna grilled hot dogs over the fire and then marshmallows. We had also potato salad, chips, chocolate raisins, grapes and bread. It was a feast!!! The best thing was to put chocolate raisins in the warm marshmallows, a kind of smores! Sticky but so good!
We talked and had a really nice time and didn't notice how dark it had been until our fire was out. It was so dark it looked like U stared at a black wall or sth. Good thing we had flashlights so that we could brush our teeth and get in to our warm and cozy sleeping bags.
It took a while for me to sleep cause I was listening to all the sounds and afraid that a beer would come and eat us. Here the big Brown bear and the Grizzly lives so U have to be careful not to leave any food out or spread a odour ;) Anna said that I needed to go and wash ;)
Finally the sound from the river made me go to sleep and I slept good the whole night with my wife next to me ;)

Miss U all!
Love Sandra



No comments:

Post a Comment