Thursday, July 15, 2010

The zoo



Today (Wednesday) I had decided that we were going to the zoo. I were there last week with Anna and her boys but I wanted to go with my kids as well and now when Helena is here it could be fun for her too.
So I packed a big lunch and a lot of water, I had the sunscreen and band aid with me so I felt prepared....;)
Of course Filip was all whiny about how boring it was on the zoo and that he didn't want to go, he wanted to be home...bla bla bla. But I just said get in to the car and this time I remembered to tell Filip to bring his DS and the girl a book or sth so that they would be calm in the car. And it worked!!
At the zoo the kids were so great and Filip was really excited about anything so I think he was glad that he didn't stay home.
One cool thing with Microsoft is that U get sth called a Prime Card and can get tourist stuff (and in a lot of great stores) cheaper. So now I paid $5 instead of $16 per person...me like! ;)
We started with the African part and saw zebras and giraffes on the savanna and then we worked through Asia with the elephants and monkeys and all other cool animals. The kids were really good and interested. They asked me all kinds of stuff about all animal and I felt really important and good when I could answer the most of them ;)
It's really nice to walk around here at the zoo cause there is so many plants and trees surrounding the walking path, that it feels like you're in a jungle. And it also gives a nice shade so even in a sunny and warm day like today, U can enjoy spending a day at the zoo.
At around 11, we stopped for lunch and I had made some sandwiches for us and then the kids had some chips and cookies. Jum jum! And also here the kids behaved really well and talked and was nice to each other, I was so proud ;)
We went to the reptile house where we saw all the snakes and crocodiles and the girls were really scared ;) One cool thing was that we saw a small tree snake who tried to catch a fish in the water. We were fascinated by it and stood there for maybe 10 minutes before we went on. So cool! The kids actually got to pet a snake which they were so proud of, but they washed their hands a couple of times afterwards ;)
Since the kids behaved so well, they got some ice cream. Well, Sofia and Helena took ice cream while Filip choose a soda instead. They had deserved it!
After the tropical rain forest and the bears and eagles we had seen it all and went home. We spend around 4 hours at the zoo so the kids (and me) were exhausted when we got home. But it was so warm and sunny that we just put on our swim suits and walked down to the beach.
It takes about 15 minutes to walk but it's so worth it. It's a real beach with good sand and there is also a beach volley ball field and a playground, so there are other stuff for the kids to do than to swim.
Filip and Helena took the swim test here as well so they were allowed to go out on the deck and jump in the water. I went with Filip once but I'm a bit scared so I only jumped once ;)
It's not as at the beaches in Sweden. Here is always a life guard and they have a rope about maybe 5 meters out in the water and to pass that (if U are young) U have to take a swim test to show that U are able to swim. And, at 6 the lifeguards are leaving so they tell everyone that the beach is closed and no one is allowed in the water anymore. What!! But as soon as they are gone, people go in the water anyway. Can't they just say that "Hey, now U swim at your own risk" or sth. Kind of ridiculous...well well
At 6, Jonas and Lotta came and me and Lotta went across the street and bought some burgers for our dinner. We had it at the beach and it was so nice cause it was still warm and the sun was beginning to set behind Seattle.
When we were at the zoo earlier today, I got a call from that Austrian au pair, Patricia (not how she spells it) and asked if I wanted to see a movie tonight. I was really surprised but happy that she invited me so I said yes.
At 8 me and Anna (yes she's always with me ;)) met up with her, and that other au pair I saw at the pool yesterday, at QFC here in Kirkland. We went to Patricia's brother who lives here in Kirkland since 2 months and is working for Microsoft. It was a really nice apartment but we couldn't watch the movie immediately cause he had a projector and the sun was still to bright. But that was an excellent excuse to get to know each other.
Patricia is only going to be here for 8 weeks over the summer and the other girl for two months so they are just the light version of us ;) They were all really nice but sometimes they talked Austrian which neither me or Anna understood...but we could some German ;)
There was also another guy who joined us later, a friend of Patricia's brother.
We saw a movie that I don't remember the name of but it was really fun ;) Afterwards, me and Anna wanted to leave cause it was kind of late and we were tired, but the other guy was like: "U don't have to leave just because the movie is over. Stay and talk!" So...we sat down again and talked, for maybe an hour but then we said that we REALLY had to go and so we did ;)
It was a nice evening and it's always fun to meet new people, always good to know someone in Austria..or? ;)

Miss U all!
Love Sandra

No comments:

Post a Comment